Sleeve plication is one of the latest restrictive weight loss surgeries. Mexico has been attracting a sizeable number of weight loss surgery enthusiasts from all over the world. And quite a few of them have been opting for sleeve plication surgery in Tijuana in particular principally because of the availability of experienced and professional bariatric surgeons who provide easy on the pocket treatments.
Sleeve Plication Surgery – Procedural Overview
Sleeve plication surgery, also referred to as laparoscopic greater curvature plication (LGCP) or gastric imbrication, is an alternative weight loss procedure which with the use of staple line can be as effective and restrictive as gastric sleeve surgery (as per an article in Spanish titled Laparoscopic Gastric Plication: a new surgery for the treatment of morbid obesity by Pujol Gebelli J et al published in the June-July 2011 edition of Cirugía Española).
- The first phase of this innovative bariatric surgery involves dissecting the greater curvature of the stomach from the short gastric vessels and the greater omentum, just like it is done in vertical sleeve gastrectomy.
- After this procedure is completed, a bougie or 32 Fr calibration tube is inserted to perform plication.
- At this stage, an initial layer of non-absorbable interrupted stitches is inserted.
- Following that, two additional layers of non-absorbable running sutures are made to form the actual plicated, sleeve-like stomach.
- This reduced stomach aids in the patient feeling satiated after ingesting small amounts of food, which promotes weight loss.
- According to a study titled Laparoscopic gastric greater curvature plication: results and complications in a series of 135 patients by G Skrekas et al published in the November 2011 edition of the Journal of Obesity Surgery, laparoscopic gastric greater curvature plication (LGGCP) is highly effective in patients with Body Mass Index (BMI) lower than 45 kg/m².
Gastric Sleeve Plication Surgery in Tijuana – Advantages
A number of medical tourists are undergoing gastric sleeve plication and lap band surgery in Tijuana as there are numerous benefits synonymous with getting treated in this Mexican border town. Here are some of the upsides of undergoing gastric plication in Tijuana:
- The low cost of gastric plication in Tijuana, Mexico is a major factor drawing medical tourists. Cost of gastric plication in Mexico is lower than in the US or for that matter any other developed country primarily because of the low living and labor costs in Mexico.
- Despite the low costs, the quality of gastric plication in Tijuana is comparable to that found in the leading medical centers of the US, Canada, and the UK. Of course, for availing quality healthcare you will have to steer clear of shady bariatric clinics offering “cheap” weight loss surgeries.
- The reputable hospitals in Tijuana, Mexico have all the latest technologies and advanced equipment needed to carry out this delicate procedure competently and successfully.
- There are a number of well-experienced bariatric surgeons in Tijuana. Many of them have experience of practicing in the US and have undergone training at the well-known medical schools in North America and Europe.
- Another advantage of undergoing this weight loss surgery in Tijuana is negligible to no waiting time before your treatment.
- Tijuana’s proximity to the US is an added advantage. The city is merely 17 miles from San Diego, CA. Americans from the West Coast can cut down their travel time by opting for stomach plication or for that matter any other weight loss surgery such as gastric bypass in Tijuana.
- Geographical propinquity also makes it easy for the American patients to return for plastic surgery in Tijuana, post weight loss. After losing tremendous weight, sagging and redundant skin can pose a problem. Post weight loss cosmetic surgery in Tijuana too is available at a fraction of the cost quoted for comparable procedures in the US.
Sleeve Plication Surgery in Tijuana, Mexico – Some Pointers
You should consider certain things before heading off for gastric plication surgery in Tijuana, Mexico.
- As gastric sleeve plication surgery is a newer weight loss procedure, there is not much known about the long-term complications.
- Consider your options carefully before traveling to Mexico for your bariatric surgery.
- Don’t opt for cheap, small clinics for your gastric sleeve plication surgery in Tijuana, Mexico just to save a few bucks.
- Select a well-known medical center in Mexico for your surgery to see to it that you get world-class healthcare.
- Personal safety is of utmost important too. Avoid venturing out in the secluded areas at night.
- Get recommended vaccinations before you travel to Mexico.
Undergoing sleeve plication weight loss surgery in the Mexican border town would not only help you rein in your expenses on the surgery but also give you an opportunity of vacationing if a holiday has been eluding you for a long time. Enjoy a bullfight, get a taste of the local culture at the Tijuana Cultural Center or CECUT, and relax at Playas de Tijuana (read beaches of Tijuana).
Mexico Health facilitates affordable medical treatments at various quality hospitals in Mexico. For more information, please submit the estimate-request form on the right.