Tijuana, Mexico, is known not only for being home to the busiest land border crossing in the world, but also for being a hub of weight loss clinics and hospitals offering affordable and quality bariatric surgery.
A major industrial and financial center in the Mexican state of Baja California, Tijuana has become one of the leading medical tourism destinations of North America and is thronged by a number of Americans seeking cheaper healthcare outside the USA.
How Much You Save?
Our bariatric surgery packages cost only a fraction of the prices charged for similar procedures in the United States. The following table shows a comparison of prices charged in the US and our package prices for the weight loss surgical procedures we offer in the Mexican border town:
|Procedure||Our Package Price
|Average US Price||Your Savings|
|Gastric Sleeve||$3,950||$17,000||About 75%|
|Gastric Banding||$3,500||$20,000||About 80%|
Please note that the above mentioned prices are limited-time deals. We recommend that you fill our online quote form for the latest prices.
What is Bariatric Surgery?
- Bariatric surgery helps extremely obese people lose weight.
- This is achieved by restricting the capacity of the stomach to hold food.
- The major types of bariatric surgery are:
- Lap band surgery, in which a silicone ring is wound around the upper part of the stomach to reduce its capacity.
- Gastric sleeve surgery, in which almost 75 percent of the stomach is removed, which reduces the capacity of the stomach to hold food.
- Gastric bypass surgery, in which the gastric space is reduced and the remnant stomach pouch is connected with the small intestine in a manner to bypass a major portion of the intestine.
- Gastric plication, in which the stomach is folded into itself to reduce gastric space and restrict the amount of food that can be held by the stomach.
- Bariatric surgery is also known as obesity surgery, weight loss surgery and WLS.
- To qualify for a bariatric procedure, your body mass index should be 35 or more.
- Also, you need to have put in sincere, albeit failed, efforts to lose weight by altering your diet and exercising.
Tijuana – Not Your Average WLS Destination
The reasons a number of Canadians and Americans choose to have their weight loss surgery in Tijuana are listed as follows:
- Highly competitive prices – You can make huge savings as you pay only a fraction of the US prices.
- Quality care – Wide choice between state-of-the-art bariatric centers in Tijuana.
- Highly experienced bariatric surgeons – The surgeon we work with, for example, has performed more than 1,300 gastric sleeve and banding surgeries.
- Less wait times – You get to schedule your surgery easily; also you get prompt medical attention.
- Lower your travel expenses – Tijuana is just 17 miles from the Californian city of San Diego.
- No language barriers – Our network bariatric surgeons are English-speaking.
- Value-for-money packages – Our all-inclusive packages include a variety of services, such as:
- Free transportation – airport pick and drop and ground transportation between the hospital and hotel
- Medications required during the hospital stay
- Passport and visa assistance
- Full destination assistance
- Dedicated destination manager
- Our gastric band package includes 1-night hotel stay too
And the list does not end here. Fill our free online estimate-form for more details.
One More Bariatric Surgery Success Story and Counting…
Mexico Health has a long list of satisfied customers who have successfully had their weight loss surgery in Mexico. One such client, Bridget from Florida, chose us to facilitate her vertical sleeve surgery in Tijuana. She was particularly happy with the gratis pick-up service provided to her and highlighted how her coordinator made her whole stay hassle-free. Excerpt from her bariatric surgery review:
“…We met at the hospital, we were picked up exactly like we were told,
my co-ordinator and she made sure that we all met…Everybody here has been very friendly.
I have no complaints.”
Click here to watch her talk about her whole experience.
Useful Travel Info to Make Your Medical Trip Better
Below is some travel-related information so that you can prepare for your bariatric surgery trip better:
- The San Ysidro Port of Entry, the land border crossing between San Diego and Tijuana, is open 24*7.
- Americans and Canadians do not need a visa to enter Mexico. To enter Mexico, they would need a valid passport
- To venture beyond the border zone (an area extending 20-30 kilometers from the border) or for a stay exceeding 72 hours in any part of the country, a tourist card called FMM (Forma Migratoria Múltiple) will be required.
- The FMM serves as a temporary visa for a period up to 180 days.
- You have the option of flying into the General Abelardo L. Rodríguez International Airport (IATA: TIJ) in the Mexican border city. You can also fly into the San Diego International Airport (Code: SAN), which is just a short drive from the hospital where your surgery will be done.
- Here is a list of some Spanish words and phrases which could come in handy in case you hit a language barrier:
- Hello – Hola
- Goodbye – Adios
- Thank you – Gracias
- Yes – Si
- No – No
- Help – Socorro
- Please – Por favor
- Sorry – Lo Siento
- I do not understand – No entiendo
- Do you speak English – Habla usted ingles?
With quality bariatric surgery available at Tijuana’s top hospitals for only a minuscule percentage of the American prices, it is easy to see why the Mexican border city scores over the United States.
Submit the free online quote form on the right for more information.