Gastric bypass in Tijuana, Mexico offers the twin benefits of being performed close to home but at a fraction of the cost of the procedure in the United States. Located just across the border from San Diego, California, the Mexican town of Tijuana offers easy access to American citizens as well as international visitors. Gastric bypass surgeons in Tijuana offer high quality medical service for patients seeking affordable weight loss surgery in Mexico.
Because of the high quality and lower costs of gastric bypass surgery and other procedures related to weight loss, such as gastric banding, gastric sleeve and lap band surgery, Tijuana and other destinations in Mexico are welcoming an increasing number of medical tourists.
What is Gastric Bypass Surgery?
- Medical professionals sometimes use the following terms to refer to gastric bypass surgery: Bariatric gastric bypass, Roux-en-Y gastric bypass procedure (RYGB), RNY Surgery, Gastric bypass – Roux-en-Y, and Roux-en-Y gastric bypass.
- Patients who have tried to lose weight with other methods but were unsuccessful make good candidates for gastric bypass surgery.
- Patients eligible for this type of surgery usually fall into one of two categories:
- those with a body mass index (BMI) that exceeds 39
- those who in addition to having a BMI of 35-40 also suffer from serious medical conditions such as heart disease, type 2 diabetes, or obstructive sleep apnea
- In this procedure, a surgeon divides the stomach into two parts: a small upper part and a larger lower part.
- This lower part of the stomach, along with the upper intestine, is bypassed—food no longer passes through these organs. Instead, the smaller upper part is connected to the lower part of the intestine.
- The net result is twofold:
- the patient has a smaller stomach so he or she feels full after eating smaller portions of food;
- and since much of the intestine is bypassed, fewer calories are absorbed by the patient.
- There are some risks associated with the weight loss surgery which patients considering gastric bypass surgery in Tijuana should discuss with their bariatric surgeons prior to the surgery.
- As per the research study Urolithiasis risk factors in the bariatric population undergoing gastric bypass surgery by Wu JN, Craig J et al. published in the official journal of the American Society for Bariatric Surgery on September 21, 2011, “patients undergoing RYGB develop changes in the urinary milieu predisposing them to forming urinary stones”.
- Two common methods are used to perform gastric bypass surgery: open surgery and laparoscopic surgery.
- Gastric bypass surgeons in Tijuana, Mexico, may elect to perform either method based on the patient’s medical condition and personal preference.
- The laparoscopic method offers the advantages of a less invasive procedure. Smaller scars, shorter recovery times and less pain are some of the other benefits.
Why Opt for Gastric Bypass in Tijuana?
Besides the obvious benefit of lower gastric bypass surgery costs in Tijuana, Mexico, the following factors are attractive for those seeking bariatric surgery in Mexico:
- One advantage of undergoing gastric bypass surgery in Tijuana is the ease of traveling to this Mexico border town.
- Tijuana is located the special “border zone” that was established for the convenience of tourists. American citizens do not need passports or special visas for visits within this “border zone” if their visit is less than 72 hours. With the laparoscopic surgery option, recovery time is usually 2-3 days.
- The cost of gastric bypass surgery in Mexico is quite low. Even after taking into account the expenses related to travel and hospital stay, the cost of the entire trip will come out to be a fraction of what the surgery alone would cost in the developed countries. To get an accurate idea, you can ask for a gastric bypass quote from Mexico Health.
- Post weight loss, you can return for affordable plastic surgery in Tijuana to get rid of redundant, sagging skin.
- The leading hospitals in Tijuana, Mexico offer cutting edge technology and training for their gastric bypass surgeons. Additionaly, Tijuana’s proximity to the US allows Mexican surgeons easy access to American medical conferences and seminars.
- The renowned gastric bypass surgeons in Tijuana, Mexico are fluent in both English and Spanish.
- Absence of waiting times is another upside of going for low cost bariatric surgery in the Mexican border town.
- If a vacation has been eluding you for a long time, you can spend your pre-surgery days soaking in the sights and sounds of Tijuana.
In the light of the numerous advantages of opting for gastric bypass in Tijuana, no wonder an increasing number of offshore patients looking for a surgical solution to tackle obesity are making a beeline for this border town.
Mexico Health facilitates affordable medical treatments at various quality hospitals in Mexico. For more information, please submit the estimate-request form on the right.