Low cost treatments, first-class health facilities, and expert doctors are just some of the reasons behind the increasing popularity of healthcare tourism in Mexico, particularly among Americans and Canadians. In case of those suffering from severe symptoms of kidney stones, one of the feasible treatment options is kidney stone removal in Mexico.
What are the statistics on kidney stones for the US? They are quite alarming for sure! According to the National Institutes of Health (NIH), about 500,000 people are taken to the emergency room due to kidney stones annually. Furthermore, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that one in 10 American adults has some level of chronic kidney disease (CKD). For many Americans who lack proper health insurance, the availability of affordable kidney stone operation in Mexico is a great blessing. The kidney stone treatment price in Mexico results in substantial cost savings.
Overview of Kidney Stone Removal
Here is a brief overview of the procedure for those considering surgery for kidney stones in Mexico:
- You may proceed with the surgery if your kidney stones are found to be:
- Larger than 2 cm. in diameter
- Caused by an infection
- Blocking urine flow from the kidney
- Not disintegrated by extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL)
- Low cost tunnel surgery or percutaneous nephrolithotomy in Mexico is also available. In this procedure the urologist makes a small incision and puts a hollow tube into the kidney through which the stone is removed. There are many highly competent urologists performing kidney stone removal as well as buccal mucosal urethroplasty in Mexico.
- Some reminders prior to your kidney stone removal surgery:
- Quit smoking and lose excess weight, if applicable.
- Get the doctor’s advice about taking birth control pills or hormone replacement therapy (HRT).
- Make sure to have your overall health checked first.
Why Choose Kidney Stone Removal in Mexico?
The reasons discussed below may erase your doubts as to why removal of kidney stones in Mexico is a good option for overseas patients:
- What does the removal of kidney stones cost in Mexico? Prices vary, but the bottom-line is—they are around 50% less than the prices charged in the high income countries. What’s more, many health care providers here offer attractive treatment packages as a part of their promotional strategy to attract more clients.
- Many overseas patients take advantage of the cheap cost by combining two or more treatments in one visit, usually cosmetic procedures. More and more US-based companies are also giving dental trips to Los Algodones and other Mexican border towns as an incentive to their top employees.
- Renowned urologists in Mexico have graduated from top-notch medical colleges and trained in the US and Europe. Many of them work in leading hospitals that strive to provide no less than first-class healthcare services to both local and overseas patients. Many doctors, nurses and staff are fluent in English, a great convenience for medical tourists.
- The proximity of the US and Canada to Mexico makes it easier—and even less costly—for American and Canadian patients to travel for kidney stone treatment in Mexico.
- The patient’s preferred treatment schedule can be accommodated as there are usually no long waiting lists in Mexico.
Reminders on Kidney Stone Treatment in Mexico
- If you plan to travel around Mexico, consult your urologist first before making an itinerary. It is best to schedule sightseeing before the surgery as you will have to regain your health and strength after the operation.
- As hospital recovery may take a few days, it is advisable to bring at least one companion for any assistance or support that you will need. Though your urologist and the nurses will be there to check on you round the clock, you will feel much better when a close relative or friend is there with you.
- Post surgery, make a commitment to follow a diet that is low in sodium and saturated fat. Eating a lot of fruits and vegetables (except those high in calcium oxalate) and drinking plenty of water may also reduce the risk of re-occurrence of kidney stones.
Of course, the overall success of your kidney stone removal in Mexico requires a lifetime commitment to a healthy diet and lifestyle.
Submit the free quote request form on the right for more information on Kidney Stone Removal in Mexico.