Chronically obese people wanting to undergo surgery for weight loss and deterred by the cost of medical procedures in their native countries are increasingly turning to Mexico. Popular bariatric procedures, including lap band in Mexico, can result in savings of as much as 60-70%. No wonder bariatric surgery in Mexico attracts thousands of Americans and Canadians looking to vanquish obesity surgically.
The country offers a unique combination of world class hospitals, top surgeons, and dedicated staff, all for prices which are significantly lower than in the United States. Besides helping them embrace a healthier living, lap band surgery in Mexico also gives medical tourists an opportunity to experience the rich culture of this beautiful Latin American country.
What is Lap Band Surgery?
- A lap band is an inflatable silicone device placed around the upper portion of the stomach via laparoscopic surgery in a bid to treat obesity.
- It is ideal for people with a BMI of 40 and above.
- It is also the recommended procedure for people with BMI ranging between 35 and 40, who have co-morbidities, such as diabetes and high blood pressure, which tend to improve with weight loss. As per a study by S. Edelman and colleagues published in the November 2012 issue of the peer-reviewed journal Postgraduate Medicine, laparoscopic lap banding is “a potential adjunctive treatment for obese patients with T2DM (Type 2 diabetes mellitus).”
- Lap band surgery is a reversible procedure as the band may be removed as and when required.
- Postoperative patients do not face malabsorption issues.
- Lap banding is alternatively known as laparoscopic gastric banding, LAGB, and laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding.
Cost of Lap Band Surgery in Mexico
- Doctors and other paramedical staff are not paid exuberant salaries as in the first world countries, a factor which contributes to affordable lap band surgery in Mexico.
- Further, thanks to the low cost of living, the cost of lap band in Mexico is estimated to be around 50-70% lower than in the United States and Canada.
- Even after taking accommodation expenses and airfare into consideration, lap band surgery in Mexico falls relatively easy on the pocket.
Testimonials and Reviews on Lap Band in Mexico
It would always be worth your while to go through patient testimonials and feedback so that you choose the right bariatric surgeon and hospital for your gastric banding in Mexico. Videos featuring hospitals and enumerating their various features are also a good place to start your research.
Lap Band in Mexico – Pros and Cons
- There are a number of medical centers focusing entirely on lap band in Tijuana, Puerto Vallarta, Ciudad Juarez and Cancun.
- The reputable bariatric surgeons in Mexico are highly skilled, with many of them having undergone training at the prestigious medical institutes in countries such as the US, Canada, and Argentina.
- Lap band surgery in Mexico costs approximately 30-40% of its value in other first world countries.
- There are a number of state-of-the-art hospitals scattered all over the major cities in the country. Quite a few of them have JCI and ISO accreditation.
- The good hospital and clinics offering gastric banding in Mexico have well-appointed patient rooms.
- Also, there are negligible waiting lists for any type of surgery in Mexico owing to the large number of hospitals and qualified personnel.
- Americans can cut down on their travel costs by opting for lap band surgery in Tijuana, Ciudad Juarez and other Mexican border towns. Located only 17 miles from San Diego, CA, Tijuana attracts hordes of medical tourists each year. Quite a few offshore patients also avail gastric band surgery in Puerto Vallarta and Cancun. These resort cities are home to a number of world-class hospitals and are well connected with the major cities in the USA and Canada.
On the flipside, some of the downsides of getting lap band in Mexico are lack of standardization and virtual absence of malpractice liability. Traveling back to a foreign country for follow-up care is another disadvantage. This, however, can be taken care of if patients make arrangements for follow-up care in their home country.
Submit the free quote request form on the right for more information on Lap Band in Mexico.