If you suffer from chronic obesity – a weight problem characterized by body mass index being greater than 40 – and are experiencing other health issues as a result, there is a surgical option in the form of gastric bypass surgery in Guadalajara, Mexico that won’t break the bank. An increasing number of medical tourists are undergoing bariatric surgery in Mexico. This stems from the availability of quality yet low cost weight loss surgical procedures in Mexico.
What is Gastric Bypass Surgery?
- Gastric bypass, alternatively known as Roux-en-Y gastric bypass, gastric bypass Roux-en-Y and R-en-Y bypass surgery and sleeve bypass surgery, involves the division of the stomach into two parts – with the upper part being smaller than the lower part.
- The small intestine is then rechanneled and connected with the smaller upper pouch.
- This results in the ingested food to bypass a major portion of the stomach, which in turn leads to lesser absorption of calories.
- As per a study by M Jamal, Y Gunay, et al, the results of which were published in the official journal of The American Society for Bariatric Surgery on October 6, 2011, weight loss post gastric bypass also helps in ameliorating Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS).
Benefits of Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass Surgery in Guadalajara, Mexico
- Gastric bypass cost in Mexico is lower compared to the prices charged for the surgery in the UK, the US, Canada and other North American and European countries, with prices sometimes more than 40 percent lesser.
- The cost of gastric bypass in Guadalajara is low primarily because of the low living costs in Mexico.
- Because of the rising costs of healthcare in the States, many types of insurance plans restrict certain surgeries, including bariatric procedures. In the light of this, it is prudent to consider affordable bariatric surgeries such as gastric bypass and lap band surgery in Guadalajara.
- Guadalajara is home to numerous state-of-the-art hospitals.
- Gastric bypass and gastric sleeve surgeons in Mexico are highly experienced and quite a few of them have received their education in the United States before returning to Mexico.
- Medical professionals in Mexico often update their training and credentials at top institutions in the United States and Europe.
- Undergoing laparoscopic gastric bypass in Guadalajara is also attractive because of the short wait lists compared to procedures that need to be scheduled months – if not longer – in advance in America or Europe.
- Founded nearly 500 years back, Guadalajara is also a tourist Mecca thanks to its city center, restaurants, museums, parks, and churches.
- If finances are an issue – either related to travel or the chosen procedure – both secured and unsecured medical loans are an option.
- The region experiences mild winters, which attracts many medical tourists who live in areas of North America and abroad with severe winter weather.
Tourist Attractions in Guadalajara
- The Metropolitan Cathedral, with its baroque architecture has been a fixture since its construction in 1558.
- The circular monument called the Rotonda de los Hombres Ilustres (Rotunda of Illustrious Men), which was built in the 17th century to honor distinguished citizens.
- The Jalisco Regional Museum, with its 16 halls that display permanent collections.
- The Hospicio Cabañas, which was declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1997, and is home to paintings (murals and easel) by José Clemente Orozco.
Tips for Those Considering Gastric Bypass in Guadalajara Mexico
- Guadalajara is generally safe but do be wary of street merchants and beggars.
- Mind your luggage, wallet, jewelry and personal electronic items.
- Avoid walking in solitary places or going to banks or automated teller machines alone.
- Avoid drinking alcohol on city streets, and never carry illegal substances as law enforcement can be strict in these cases.
- There have been instances of robberies and assaults on cab passengers in the past. If at all using a cab, make sure that you hire a radio taxi or a sitio.
- In case of emergency, dial 066 from the nearest telephone.
- If you happen to be from California, then you may want to consider gastric bypass in Tijuana (a Mexican border city which is only about 17 mi from San Diego, CA).
Low cost gastric bypass surgery in Guadalajara, Mexico is an obvious choice for those desirous of combating obesity surgically without burning a hole in the pocket. Because of the low gastric bypass prices in Guadalajara, Mexico, you can enjoy the various touristy sites in the city as well also those in nearby Tlaquepaque and Tonala.
Mexico Health facilitates affordable medical treatments at various quality hospitals in Mexico. For more information, please submit the estimate-request form on the right.