From Only $10,000*
Welcome to our comprehensive program on knee replacement in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico! You’ll find valuable information on total knee arthroplasty and benefits that can be garnered from the surgery.
The cost of knee replacement surgery in Puerto Vallarta is almost one-fourth of the cost as compared to Canada, the US and other developed countries. The following chart shows the price difference:
|Puerto Vallarta, Mexico*||USA||
Total Knee Replacement
Note: Average pricing for USA and Canada taken from Medigo.com.
*Prices are subject to change without prior notification. Please contact us for the latest information.
Our Knee Replacement Packages for Puerto Vallarta include:
- Assistance with Visa and Passport
- Support for airline tickets and accommodation
- Free logistics and lodging for the accompanying guest
- Shuttle service from/to airport & hotel TnC apply
- Personal conveyance for medical appointments (may cost additional fees)
- Pre- and post-ops, medicines, hospital, doctor, and his team fees
- Assistance with leisurely activities (additional cost applies)
- A 24*7 Destination Manager
- Photocopy of medical reports in English
- Pre- or post-process communication/teleconference with the surgeon (if needed)
How Common Are Knee Replacements in the USA?
As per the latest 2016 report by the Joint Commission, nearly 700,000 total hip and knee replacement procedures are performed each year in the US, and this number is expected to increase fourfold by 20301.
In the US alone nearly 4.7 million individuals underwent total knee replacement (TKR) in the year 20102. As per a published report by Maradit Kremers H and colleagues, more women (3 million) than men (1.7 million) suffer from knee problems2.
Affordable Knee Replacement Surgery
Knee replacement surgery can help relieve pain and restore the usual functions of the ailing knee joints. Mexico Health is your travel partner providing affordable Knee Replacement Surgery in Puerto Vallarta.
Your surgery will be performed in one of the premier hospitals of the city which has been serving the local and international clients for nearly 30 years.
Following are some of the features of the hospital:
- 24*7 emergency services
- State-of-the-art operating rooms
- Varied area of specialties
- Pathology lab
- Radiology, imaging, X-Rays, CT, Helicoidal CT and MRI facility
- Fluoroscopy and ultrasound services
- Medica Laser facility
For more information on knee replacement in Puerto Vallarta, fill in the FREE Estimate form and our representative will get back to you shortly.
Why Choose Puerto Vallarta for Total Knee Replacement?
The cost for orthopedic procedures, hospitalization and other medical procedures in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico are substantially lower than in the United States.
Presence of pharmacies on every nook and corner makes PVR a sought after place for many tourists visiting this city. Cost of several medicines is substantially less here than in the United States.
No Unnecessary Waiting Times
As compared to the US, there is no waiting time for consulting a doctor. We, at Mexico Health, facilitate quick and easy consultation with the concerned doctor.
Wide Ranging Medical Facilities
PVR is synonym with high quality medical care. It offers advanced hi-tech facilities and world-class hospital infrastructure at reasonable prices compared to the United States and Canada. We also offer various other orthopedic procedures such as shoulder replacement and clavicle repair in Mexico.
Experienced Orthopedic Surgeons
Our orthopedic team is competent, qualified and English speaking.
Medical Loan Facility
If you are in need of knee replacement and are looking for ways to finance your surgery, you can avail a medical loan for knee replacement with us. We facilitate financing on easy terms and conditions.
What is Knee Replacement Surgery?
Knee replacement surgery, also known as arthroplasty, involves replacing a damaged knee with an artificial joint.
What Causes Knee Damage?
There are plenty of reasons for knee damage, some of which are:
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Unusual bone growth
- Knee injury
How Do I Know If I Need Knee Arthroplasty?
If you have any of the below mentioned you may be a candidate for knee replacement surgery:
- Severe pain, swelling in your knee joint
- Knee pain impacting your routine activities and interfering with sleep
- Reduced mobility
- Damage due to arthritic conditions such as osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis
What Are My Options For Knee Arthroplasty?
Depending on the condition of the knee, there are two options for the surgery:
- Total Knee Replacement (TKR) – entire knee joint is replaced
- Partial Knee Replacement (PKR) – only one side of the knee joint is replaced
Patient Evaluation for TKA (Total Knee Arthroplasty)
Pre-op evaluation of the patient may include the following:
- Routine preoperative electrocardiography (ECG)
- Urine culture
- Complete blood count (CBC)
- Renal function studies
- Standing anteroposterior (AP) view and lateral view
Benefits of Total Knee Replacement
Active Participation in Sports Post Surgery
As per a 2016 study by Vielgut I and colleagues, 70.8% patients stayed actively involved in sports after a mean follow-up of 10 years subsequently to TKA3.
High Patient Satisfaction
As per a report by Lostak J and colleagues, overall satisfaction of patients was recorded at 90.2%4.
Relief from Joint Pain While Walking
A published study by Chandran R and colleagues affirms improvement in pain levels (post-op) while walking. At 6 month follow-up 86.7% of the patients reported excellent results5.
Better Bending and Kneeling Post-Op
The study by Chandran R and colleagues utilized the Knee Clinical Scoring to measure the functional ability of patient’s pre and post-op. The average pre- and post-op score was 28.13 and 95.38 respectively5. Improvement was also noticed when the knee was extended from a flexed position5.
Improved Quality Of Life
According to a study by Harikesavan K and colleagues, TKR (total knee replacement) provides a significant relief in pain and enhanced health related quality of life for 90% of patients with varied physical functions6.
Low Complication Rates Post-op
Chandran R and colleagues state 96.7% of the patients reported no major complications5.
Who Will Perform My TKA?
A well known Mexican Board Certified Orthopedic Surgeon will perform your total knee replacement surgery in Puerto Vallarta. He holds a dual citizenship of the United States and Mexico. Apart from knee replacements, he also performs:
- Hip Replacement
- Rotator Cuff Repair
- ACL (Anterior cruciate ligament) Repair
- Shoulder Replacement
- Foot and Hand Joint Surgery
He is also an active member of:
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS)
- Mexican Association of Arthroscopic Surgeons (AMECRA)
- Arthroscopy Association of North America (AANA)
- Puerto Vallarta College of Orthopedic Surgeons (both member and vice president)
Although you won’t be allowed rigorous leg movements initially, gradually you will be asked to indulge in your routine activities. Following care should be exercised post-op:
- Typically, you will be in the hospital for 2-3 days and subsequently, depending on your needs you will be able to go home or progress to rehabilitation.
- Once discharged, you will be able to walk on crutches and gradually move to walking on your own at 6-8 weeks.
- Your sutures will be removed at roughly 10-12 days (if they are not dissolvable).
- Rigorous knee bending is not suggested initially, but as you progress you should be able to bend to 90 degrees.
- To evaluate your progress, you will have a 6 week check up with your surgeon.
- Regarding sports or indulgence in other activities, it may take approximately 3 months.
- When you return home make sure you have railings in your bathroom, stairs, and in and around the house.
- No jerky movement and twisting until 12 weeks
- Avoid jogging
- Do not lift heavy objects
Call your knee replacement surgeon if you have:
- Redness, swelling or tenderness of your knee
- Fluid draining from your incision
- Chills or fever greater than 100 degrees F
- Chest pain accompanied with coughing or shortness of breath
Physical Rehabilitation after TKA
Physical therapy might be needed to reclaim full range of movement and may include the following exercises:
- Thigh squeezes
- Straight and side lying leg rises
- Sitting kicks
- Knee bending
Recovery Time after Knee Replacement Surgery
Normally, you will be able to walk with a walker for about 4 weeks but won’t be able to drive a car for up to 4 weeks.
About Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Ideally located at the Pacific Coast of Mexico, the beach city of Puerto Vallarta is a vacationer’s paradise.
From the US/Canada
Puerto Vallarta’s International Airport (Licenciado Gustavo Diaz Ordaz: PVR) is well connected to major airports of North America and Canada.
There are regular flights from Mexico to and from Guadalajara, Tijuana, Mexico City, Cabo San Lucas and others.
Sightseeing in Puerto Vallarta
Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish (Church)
A must-visit attraction of Puerto Vallarta is Parroquia de Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe. A major landmark of the city, it hosts a 12 day festival in the month of Dec each year.
A mile long tiled walkway along the shore of downtown, Malecon is famous among tourists for its shopping areas and restaurants serving Mexican food.
Plaza de Armas
This plaza is located between the Our Lady of Guadalupe Church and Los Arcos Amphitheatre. It is city’s official hub for all cultural and political activities.
Fill in the contact form for more information and a FREE Knee Replacement Quote.
- Maradit Kremers H, Larson DR, Crowson CS, et al. Prevalence of Total Hip and Knee Replacement in the United States. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery American volume. 2015;97(17):1386-1397. doi:10.2106/JBJS.N.01141. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4551172/
- Vielgut I, Leitner L, Kastner N, Radl R, Leithner A, Sadoghi P. Sports Activity after Low-contact-stress Total Knee Arthroplasty – A long term follow-up study. Scientific Reports. 2016;6:24630. doi:10.1038/srep24630. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4835733/
- Lostak J, Gallo J, Zapletalova J. Patient Satisfaction after Total Knee Arthroplasty. Analysis of Pre-Operative and Peri-Operative Parameters Influencing Results in 826 Patients. Acta Chir Orthop Traumatol Cech. 2016;83(2):94-101. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27167423
- Chandran R, Shetty SK, Shetty A, Balan B, Lawrence J Mathias LJ. A study of functional outcome after Primary Total Knee Arthroplasty in elderly patients. IAIM, 2016; 3(7):297-301. http://iaimjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/iaim_2016_0307_41.pdf
- Harikesavan K, Chakravarty RD, Maiya AG (2016) Hip Abductor Strengthening Exercises Following Total Knee Replacement- A Need or Luxury . J Nov Physiother 6: 311. doi:10.4172/2165-7025.1000311. https://www.omicsgroup.org/journals/hip-abductor-strengthening-exercises-following-total-knee-replacement-aneed-or-luxury-2165-7025-1000311.php?aid=81027