Hemicolectomy is the medical term for the removal of the left or right portion of the colon, and is a common treatment option for those suffering from colon cancer. Worrying about finances is the last thing you want if you need a surgical procedure for colon cancer, but by having a hemicolectomy in Mexico you can receive affordable care, and in the process have one thing less to worry about.
Important medical procedures such as colon resection in Mexico are increasing in popularity among foreign patients due to their affordable prices, the close proximity of the country to the U.S., and the modern standards of healthcare practiced by hospitals across the border.
About Colorectal Cancer and Hemicolectomy
Barring skin cancer, colorectal cancer—a medical term for colon and rectal cancers—is the third most common cancer in the U.S., according to the American Cancer Society (ACS).
- According to a study conducted by the ACS, over 103,000 cases of colon cancer were diagnosed in 2012 alone.
- Hemicolectomy of colorectal cancer treatment is one of the cancer fighting procedures that has helped reduce the number of colorectal cancer related deaths over the last 20 years, as the surgery has become more common.
- If the cancer is in an early stage, a laparoscopic-assisted colectomy can be performed. This is a less invasive procedure done with several small incisions instead of one long incision along the abdomen.
Hemicolectomy in Mexico – Benefits
- The leading hospitals and cancer centers in Mexico provide quality and affordable care to those in need of treatment.
- Also the cost of living in Mexico is significantly lower than that in the US. The benefits of the lower living costs get passed on to the patients in the form of cheaper healthcare services. The cost of hemicolectomy in Mexico is made even more affordable by the fact that many prescription medications are less expensive there.
- There are many hospitals in Mexico in the border cities such as Tijuana and Ciudad Juarez, which are a short drive from the nearby American states such as Arizona and California. By looking into areas like these, you can avoid extensive traveling and also cut down your travel costs.
- You will find well-qualified and experienced doctors for your colon cancer treatment in Mexico who have gone through years of rigorous training.
- Majority of the reputable doctors speak English and are accustomed to working with patients traveling from the US and Canada.
Traveling for Hemicolectomy in Mexico
Here are a few tips to help you plan your trip for colon removal surgery in Mexico better:
- The US dollar is accepted widely in many locations throughout Mexico, but you’ll want to be sure to carry some Mexican pesos with you in case you need them. You can also check to see if your bank has a local branch in the city you’ll be staying in.
- You may want to remember a few key phrases in Spanish to make your stay easier:
- “Do you speak English?” / “Habla inglés?”
- “I don’t understand.” / “No entiendo.”
- “Can you help me?” / “Puede ayudarme?”
- Remember that other U.S. citizens also travel to Mexico for popular procedures, so if you feel nervous just know that you’re not alone. The local hospital staff, businesses, and citizens are used to interacting with international tourists.
By having colorectal cancer treatment in Mexico, you can not only save money, but also receive care from trained professionals without being too far from home. Hemicolectomy in Mexico is just one of the many procedures that continue to make medical tourism a popular option among American citizens.
Submit the free quote request form on the right for more information on Hemicolectomy in Mexico.