Gastric sleeve weight loss surgery in Mexico is especially preferred by medical tourists from America and Canada because of its proximity to these two countries.
Originally devised by Dr Johnston of England, Gastric sleeve surgery was later developed and is now been accepted by the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) as a primary bariatric, or weight loss procedure.
Even though the procedure has developed only in the recent years, the number of people who get gastric sleeve surgery in Mexico has been increasing every year.
What is Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
Also known as Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy, Gastric sleeve surgery is a relatively new procedure that leads to weight loss by restricting the food intake.
Sleeve Gastrectomy involves the removal of the left side of the stomach. This results in a banana, or a sleeve shaped stomach. This operation does not involve any reconnecting of the intestines, or the implantation of an artificial device in the abdomen.
In many cases, the Gastric sleeve surgery is followed by a second stage surgical procedure that is performed almost a year after the first procedure. In this procedure, the stomach is converted into a gastric bypass or duodenal switch. This leads to more weight loss and a more permanent result.
Who are the Candidates for Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
Medical tourists who plan to undergo vertical sleeve gastrectomy in Mexico need to get their medical checks to be sure that they are the right candidates for this surgery. Usually, Gastric sleeve surgery is reserved for those who:
- Are between the age of 18-60.
- Are considered extremely or morbidly obese, with a BMI, i.e. body mass index of more than 40.
- Have a history of failed weight loss attempts.
- Have no gastric problems or Hiatus Hernia.
- Cannot return for follow-up visits required by Lap Band surgery or Realize Band surgery.
Advantages of Choosing Mexico for Gastric Sleeve
- Sleeve gastrectomy costs here are significantly lower than that in the United States.
- Presence of state-of-the art JCI (Joint Commission International) accredited hospital facilities in Mexico.
- English speaking, trained medical staff specialized to deal with foreign patients.
- State of the art medical equipment, prosthetics, and technology put into use at the hospitals. According to the World Health Organization’s (WHO) World Health Report, the ranking of the world’s health systems shows the country at the 61st position.
- Personalized attention given by warm, hospitable medical staff.
- No waiting period required for the surgery.
- Many Mexico medical facilities are located close to the U.S border, making it convenient for U.S patients to cross over for gastric sleeve surgery.
- The country offers exotic and historical locations for sightseeing, making it one of the most popular destinations in the world.
- One can also avail a medical loan to undergo sleeve gastrectomy in Tijuana, Puerto Vallarta and other medical tourism destinations in the country.
Reviews and Testimonials
We have facilitated successful gastric sleeve trips of many a medical tourist. Here is the testimonial of one such satisfied customer of ours – Evangylenn Thurber, who had her gastric sleeve in Cancun.
Take a look at another gastric sleeve review from Tijuana, in which a Californian talks about her experience south of the border.
Tips for Patients Considering Mexico for Surgery
The first step towards a gastric sleeve surgery across the border is proper research. Here are a few things a medical tourist should know before venturing abroad for gastric sleeve surgery:
- Know everything about Gastric sleeve surgery procedure before deciding to undertake the surgery. Find out about the risks and possible complications of the surgery.
- Check the hospital you choose for sleeve gastrectomy for accreditation, facilities, equipment, and statistics.
- Check the qualifications and past history of the gastric sleeve surgeonyou are contemplating.
- Be in touch with your local doctor and inform him about your decision for an overseas surgery. You may need his assistance after the surgery.
Sleeve gastrectomy in Mexico is a viable option for those who are bothered by obesity but cannot afford to avail the healthcare options in their home countries due to high costs of medical care. The country offers health facilities and hospitality that are at par with the best in the world.
We facilitates affordable medical treatments at various top-notch Mexican hospitals. For more information and FREE quote, submit the estimate–request form on the right.