ACL tears are some of the most common injuries among athletes, especially young adults in their late teens and early twenties. The American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine reports that there are approximately 150,000 ACL injuries in the United States each year. Doctors recommend reconstruction surgery for proper knee function, but it is very expensive in the United States, which is why more and more people are choosing to have knee surgery in Mexico.
ACL repair in Tijuana, Mexico can be an affordable alternative to knee surgery in the United States. If you are uninsured, then knee ligament repair in Tijuana has the potential to save you thousands—some patients report savings of up to 70% compared with the same surgery in the United States.
What is ACL Reconstruction?
ACL reconstruction is a procedure in which a torn ligament is repaired to add stability to the knee. When you come to Tijuana for ACL repair, the surgeon will remove the torn tendon and replace it with a graft or a tendon from a cadaver.
This is not a cosmetic surgery. It is very important for the proper functioning of the damaged knee. If you can’t afford the surgery at home, don’t forgo it. Ignorance can damage the cartilage of the knee, which leads to severe necrosis, and may require you to undergo a total knee replacement later in life.
Why Have ACL Reconstruction in Tijuana?
You’re probably asking yourself, “How much for knee ligament reconstruction in Tijuana, Mexico?” Well, for the uninsured, the procedure in the US costs on average $35,000 and can range all the way up to $50,000. However, it is possible to save well over half of that in Mexico. But the low cost of ACL repair in Tijuana isn’t the only reason to head south of the border. Listed below are some of the other reasons to go seek your ACL surgery in Tijuana:
- Some of the best Mexican hospitals are located in Tijuana, many of which are accustomed to treating foreigners on tight budgets and schedules.
- We work with highly-qualified surgeons in Mexico. Many of the orthopedic surgeons in Tijuana with whom Mexico Health is associated have trained and/or worked in developed countries like the United States or Canada.
- Consequently, many of our network surgeons are comfortable with English and will be able to discuss all aspects of your procedure.
- Tijuana is right on the border with Mexico, just across from San Diego, California. Its proximity has been drawing tourists, both medical and fun-seeking, for years. It is very easy to get to. You can either fly to San Diego and cross the border by land, or fly directly into Tijuana.
- Most hospitals have patient pick-up service at both the airport and border to make your trip more convenient.
Some Considerations for a Trip to Tijuana
- In order to go to Tijuana, you will need a valid passport. Whether you fly to Tijuana or cross the border from San Diego, you will be asked to provide a passport, so if you don’t have one, apply for one as soon as possible.The process can take up to 8 weeks.
- Try not to make yourself a target of petty crimes. Flashy clothing and jewelry can make you stand out. Petty theft is the most common crime committed against foreigners in Mexico, but is easily avoidable.
- You can also save money on prescription drugs in Tijuana, which can come in handy if your doctor prescribes you any after the surgery. However, make sure to always have the prescriptions for any medications you have, especially when going through customs. You can get into trouble if you don’t.
- Never buy, use, or possess illegal drugs in Tijuana.
It is possible to find great deals on everything from dentistry to bariatric surgery in Mexico. If a sports injury has left you limping and in need of a procedure you can’t afford, consider having ACL reconstruction in Tijuana. It could potentially save you thousands and, more importantly, get you back to health and playing the sport you love.
Fill out the estimate request form on the right to receive more information about ACL repair in Tijuana, Mexico.