The cost of routine dental procedures in America and other first world countries has sky rocketed in the last couple of years. Dental tourism or traveling abroad for dental treatment is an established hassle free solution to this. Quality dental care in Mexico is attracting medical tourists from across the world in search of an affordable solution to their tooth problems. The well qualified dentists, state of the art Mexican hospitals and dental clinics and negligible waiting period have made going to Mexico for dental work an extremely viable option.
According to the San Diego Union Tribune, nearly one million Americans headed to Mexico in 2009 for some type of medical or dental treatment. The Health Digital System pointed out that the total income generated by medical tourism in Mexico in 2009 was $650 million, a figure that is estimated to be increasing by 25% every subsequent year.
Dental Work in Mexico
- Tooth restorations
- Veneers, laminates
- Root Canal Treatment
- Full mouth rehabilitation
- Complete and partial dentures
- Crown and Bridge
- Low cost dental implants
- Gingival recontouring
- Orthodontic treatment
- Oral Surgical procedures
Some Considerations before Opting for Dental Work in Mexico
It is important to take into consideration a number of factors before deciding to go to Mexico for dental work.
- Dental care in Mexico is beneficial to those offshore patients in need of procedures which would cost a huge amount in their native countries. Cost of dental jobs in Mexico is quite low when compared to the cost in the developed countries.
- One should take into consideration the number of visits required for completion of the procedure. It is imperative to ensure that travel cost does not outweigh the potential savings of dental work in Mexico.
- Heading to Mexico for recently invented cutting edge technology would not be too great an idea as only the top tier dentists in Mexico use lasers and other freshly introduced high tech tools. Luckily most procedures in dentistry require equipment which hasn’t undergone considerable change in the last couple of years.
- Finally, dentistry in Mexico should be considered by those who can take time off from work for travel and can afford spending a few additional days in Mexico to recuperate.
Where to Go for Quality Dental Care in Mexico
- Cancun – The coastal city of Cancun is one of the major spring destinations worldwide. It offers medical tourists a number of well equipped dental clinics spread across the city which provide a wide range of treatment.
- Guadalajara – Internationally accredited Guadalajara hospitals offer treatment at par with the US standards.
- Tijuana – Undergoing dental procedures such as dental implants in Tijuana can be particularly beneficial to the Americans living close to this border town as by doing so, they can save on their traveling and lodging expenses too.
- Monterrey – It has a highly ranked medical infrastructure and is home to three hospitals accredited by the Joint Commission International (JCI).
Why Travel to Mexico for Dental Work
There are a number of reasons why dental care in Mexico is attracting tourists from across the world:
- World class doctors and physicians, many of whom have received international exposure.
- Warm and personable Para-medical staff.
- State of the art technology in the multi specialty Mexican hospitals.
- English speaking health professionals.
- Personalized medical care. On an average, doctors see ten patients a day spending half an hour to one hour on each.
- A number of JCI accredited hospitals which observe international level of healthcare and hygiene.
- Subsidized medical education and a large number of health personnel ensure that the cost of medical procedures in Mexico is very low.
- Not only does one get cheap dental care in Mexico, but the quality of care administered is also world class.
- Patients going to Mexico for dental work end up with savings of up to 50-60%.
- Unlike many first world countries where there is a huge wait merely to consult a specialist, the scenario is totally different in Mexico where there is almost no waiting period for any surgery.
- Surgery in Mexico also gives patients an opportunity to experience the rich culture of this vibrant country.
Finding a Dentist in Mexico
- The dentist’s qualification – Whether the dentist in Mexico is holding a general degree in dentistry or has done specialization in a particular dental field. Also the type of specialization and whether it has been done through weekend courses or a full time 3 years training.
- The number of years the dentist has been practicing for.
- The success and failure rates.
- If possible, it is a good idea to get in touch with people who have received treatment from the same dentist.
The patients must have complete faith in the doctor they finally select and should discuss their expectations from the procedure in detail. Dental care in Mexico may take a varying amount of time depending on the procedure required to be done.
Entering Mexico for Dental Work
- One of the best options is to fly to San Diego and then head to Tijuana via the Blue Line Trolley which goes all the way to the Mexican border.
- The reduced airfares and large number of flights have made traveling to Mexico both easy and convenient.
- Also, US citizens do not require a visa for stay of up to 72 hours in the border zone. Outside the border zone, a tourist permit may be required.
The recent years have seen a rise in the number of patients flocking to Mexico for quality dental care, attracted by reduced prices and short waiting times. Patients considering traveling to Mexico for dental work can ask for a free quote and plan their dental trip accordingly.
Mexico Health facilitates affordable medical treatments at various quality hospitals in Mexico. For more information, please submit the estimate request form on the right.