Choosing to have your thyroidectomy surgery in Mexico can be a great option to get high quality healthcare at significantly reduced prices. This doesn’t, however, mean that one is expected to compromise on clinical excellence as the price differential is generally due to a comparatively lower cost of living in many Mexican cities.
In addition to thyroid removal surgery, Mexico has a great deal to offer those seeking treatment for various ailments. A 2009 article in the UCLA journal Medical Care, estimated that nearly 1 million Californians took advantage of the high quality, low cost healthcare available in many Mexican border towns in 2001. So, whether you’re looking for dental treatment, general surgery or cosmetic surgery, Mexico has a lot to offer.
Thyroidectomy – An Overview
The thyroid gland is involved in the production of a number of hormones (thyroxin (T4), triiodothyronine (T3) and calcitonin) and predominantly regulates metabolic rate and calcium levels. Thyroidectomy is used to treat a variety of different conditions including:
- An overactive thyroid gland
- An enlarged thyroid gland
- A growth or cyst associated with the thyroid gland
- Cancer of the thyroid
Why Choose to Have Thyroidectomy in Mexico?
- We work with a number of highly regarded surgical facilities in Mexican cities including Tijuana, Ciudad Juarez, Puerto Vallarta, Cancun, Mexicali and Guadalajara.
- Mexican doctors often train abroad to improve their clinical expertise and international prowess.
- One of the major concerns of those seeking treatment is to find out the overall cost of thyroidectomy in Mexico. Mexico can offer significant savings to foreign patients, in some cases reducing prices by up to 50% of those quoted in more affluent countries.
- The American Cancer Society (ACS) estimates that more than 56,000 US patients will require treatment for thyroid cancer in 2012. Mexico cancer centers offer patients the option of cancer treatments at an affordable price.
- If you’re self-funded or don’t have the appropriate level of insurance cover, choosing to have your thyroid surgery in Mexico could be a viable option as it is much more affordable.
- Many medical health professionals in Mexico speak English and take a friendly approach to caring for patients.
- Waiting lists are often short, which means that you shouldn’t have to join a lengthy queue before your treatment can begin.
Planning Thyroid Operation in Mexico? Some Tips:
- Make sure you find out what your treatment package covers. For example, how much recovery time is factored into your hospital stay? If you’re clear about what to expect during your procedure, you won’t have any surprises once treatment commences.
- Ensure that you carry out adequate research prior to your trip. Talk to your physician about your requirements and how much recovery time you should factor into your stay.
- Many Mexican cities are well connected to the rest of the world, with travel agencies offering cheap flights.
- The southern US States are very close to a number of the Mexican border towns which offer low cost treatment. For example, Tijuana is 17 miles from San Diego, CA, Ciudad Juarez is 90 miles from El Paso, TX, Mexicali is 2 hours from San Diego, CA, and Guadalajara is 2.5 hours from Los Angeles, CA.
- Check your travel documentation prior to your trip. There are stringent rules for international travel and these should be followed carefully to prevent problems.
- Following your thyroid gland removal surgery in Mexico you might want to take advantage of local tourism opportunities. Each Mexican city offers a variety of differing cultural, gastronomic and sight-seeing prospects so adding a well deserved vacation should provide a fitting end to your trip.
If you’re suffering from thyroid cancer, an enlarged thyroid gland or an overactive thyroid, you may struggle to afford the costs associated with treatment if you live in a first world country. Therefore, electing to have your thyroidectomy surgery in Mexico can provide affordable treatment, even when the price of travel and accommodation are taken into consideration.
Mexico Health facilitates affordable medical treatments at various quality hospitals in Mexico. For more information, please submit the estimate-request form on the right.