A meniscus tear can cause extreme discomfort and impact the quality of your life. If you are suffering excruciating pain from a knee injury and are unable to move around, you can consider meniscus repair surgery in Tijuana, Mexico to get respite at a fraction of American prices. With their premier surgical hospitals and leading orthopedic surgeons, increasing numbers of people are heading for affordable treatment in Mexico.
An article by David Morgan published in Reuters on April 19, 2012 finds that “one in four working-age Americans went without insurance at some point in 2011”. That is a staggering number of people who cannot access healthcare unless they pay out of pocket, which can be prohibitive for many. This explains why Americans and patients worldwide are choosing to get treatment in medical centers in Mexico.
What is Meniscus Repair Surgery?
- A meniscus tear impacts the cartilage that stabilizes and cushions the knee joint. While a small tear at the outer edge of the meniscus does not usually warrant surgery, a moderate to large tear does require surgical treatment. Patients respond well and heal easily in most cases.
- Surgical repair can be done in two ways – an open surgery where the surgeon opens up the knee and repairs the tear or by using an arthroscope (a thin tube with a camera and a light) and surgical instruments that are inserted through small incisions near the knee to repair the tear. The surgeon repairs the meniscus using either stitches or anchors.
- Post-surgery, patients are asked not to move their knee more than necessary for two weeks, followed by two weeks of limited mobility. Patients will need physical therapy right after surgery and must follow the doctor’s rehabilitation plans closely so as to heal properly.
So if you need a place to repair your torn knee and rejuvenate, choose your meniscus repairs in Tijuana.
Why Choose Meniscus Repair Surgery in Tijuana?
While there are no recent statistics for the exact number of medical tourists choosing to go to Mexico, a 2011 article in the Washington Post by Remy Scalza titled “For Cheaper Medical Care, Try Tijuana” reported a surge of patients since the cost of surgical procedures in the border town is 40 percent to 50 percent lower than in the U.S.
Some of the other reasons for choosing meniscus repair in Tijuana are as follows:
- The low cost of arthroscopic meniscus repair in TJ, Mexico is of great value since it comes with all the surgical advantages of the US.
- Proximity to California is very helpful to patients, especially post-surgery. Since meniscus replacement in Tijuana – Mexico might require additional postoperative check-ups, the short distance from the U.S. border (Tijuana is only about 20 minutes drive from the San Diego airport) is a huge advantage and won’t stretch the budget.
- The leading hospitals in Mexico are global institutions, with modern technology and top-of-the-line surgical equipment. If you are heading to avail low price meniscus repair in Tijuana – Mexico, you will be pleased with the post-surgery facilities at the orthopedic clinics in the city.
- You will find a range of orthopedic surgeons performing ACL and meniscus surgery in Tijuana, who are board-certified and highly trained. Patients will see their skilled work as they get their meniscus repair in Tijuana – Mexico.
- Most surgeons in Mexico undergo training in the United States. As a result of their time in the US, most of them are bilingual. This will make it easy for patients to discuss specific aspects such as arthroscopic meniscus repair in TJ – Mexico.
- You will have no problem in scheduling your meniscus repair surgery in Tijuana – Mexico since there are rarely any waiting lists for the hospitals or surgeons.
- A January 2012 NBC San Diego report by Diana Guevara found that Tijuana has become much safer for tourists. So you can go to this city of Mexico for low-cost meniscus repair and expect security.
Availing Meniscus Repair Surgery in Tijuana Mexico – Useful Tips
- Make sure you understand your contract. Ask questions and look for recommendations before scheduling your meniscus repairs in Tijuana – Mexico.
- Use common sense and remain in safe areas. Don’t explore the city without proper guidance. Most travel experts suggest that you leave expensive jewelry and gadgets at home.
- Be aware of pickpockets and petty crime. Most Mexican businesses happily accept dollars and international credit cards.
- Avoid drinking tap water during your stay in Tijuana, Mexico for meniscus repair surgery.
- Please avoid any drug-related activity during your visit for meniscus replacement in Tijuana.
- American and Canadian citizens need passports, birth certificates, or passport cards to enter Mexico.
With modern surgical hospitals, well-trained surgeons and increased tourist safety, getting meniscus repair surgery in Tijuana, Mexico is an easy decision.
Submit the free quote request form on the right for more information on Meniscus Repair Surgery in Tijuana -Mexico.