According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s 2011 Diabetes National Fact Sheet, 25.8 million people in the US have diabetes; this is 8.3% of the country’s population in 2011. Thankfully, in the last several years there have been many developments in diabetes management, and curing type 2 diabetes with surgery is now possible.
Diabetes surgery in Mexico is a great option for those who cannot afford to undergo the procedure in the US because of the entailed expensive costs. Bariatric surgery in Mexico for weight loss and diabetes management has been a trailblazer in the medical tourism industry because of the number of Americans and Canadians who go south for cheaper medical bills. It has to be said, however, that although weight management is one of the reasons for undergoing this procedure, this type of surgery is not only for the obese, but also for the non-obese victims of this disease.
Bariatric Surgery for Diabetes Management
- Managing this condition through bariatric surgery actually came as a surprise to the medical community. In a 1995 Annals of Surgery issue, Walter Pories wrote “Who would have thought it?” Pories noted that in tracking weight loss surgery (WLS) patients, it was found that 82.9% of diabetics had kept their glycemic levels in normal ranges.
- Nowadays, the low cost gastric bypass for Type 2 diabetes in Mexico and other countries means that patients have an inexpensive alternative to injecting insulin for the rest of their life.
- Metabolic surgery causes the food to go directly to the ileum in the earlier stage of digestion, in an application called ileal interposition. This can also be achieved through gastric bypass or biliopancreatic diversion, which can be done with or without duodenal switch.
- Our network surgeons in the country perform these surgeries, offering excellent quality services to help diabetes patients achieve a better quality of life.
Why Get Bariatric Surgery for Diabetes in Mexico?
- Americans and Canadians do not have to travel long to get to this lively Latin American tourism hub. There are direct flights from major cities, and some who live near any of the borders can even drive to their destination. Getting diabetes treatment in Tijuana, for example, is convenient for Californians as the Mexican border town is just about 17 miles from San Diego.
- The surgeons in our network have a lot of experience, and many of them have been performing diabetes mellitus surgery for years.
- Many bariatric surgeons performing metabolic surgery for Type 2 diabetes in Mexico have been educated or trained in the US or Canada.
- Surgeons and hospital staff speak excellent English, which ensures that nothing gets lost in translation. Open discussions are welcome from the time you get connected to a surgeon, to promote better understanding of the process and in managing expectations from both sides.
Tips for Planning a Trip for Diabetes Treatment
- Diabetes WLS in Mexico can be combined with a sight-seeing tour. However, be sure to consult the surgeon about which type of activities you can do. More strenuous activities may have to be done before your surgery if plans include swimming or diving.
- Do your research about the timeline and recovery time for gastrointestinal surgery for curing diabetes in Mexico. This will allow you to coordinate flight and pick-up schedules.
- Collect contact information from all parties involved: your medical tourism agency, the medical staff and surgeon in the country, the driver picking you up, etc. This will ensure that you have contact numbers should you need any information on your journey to this country for bypass surgery.
- If you have friends who also want to go on a weight loss journey, you may want to consider going with them. One of the latest procedures single incision sleeve surgery in Mexico, is a great choice for people who want to get weight-reduction procedures but do not want a long recovery time.
In the past, bariatric surgery was only available for obese patients, whether suffering from diabetes or not. Now, metabolic surgery for non-obese Type 2 diabetics is available, which means those who do not have a very high BMI can get the chance to go on remission from this disease too. We at Mexico Health would be glad to provide you with the options for surgeons and hospitals in your quest to get diabetes surgery in Mexico.
Submit the free quote request form on the right for more information on Diabetes Surgery in Mexico.