High healthcare costs and long waiting lists mean that electing to have your inguinal hernia surgery in Mexico has become a popular choice for many medical tourists. Although watchful waiting is suitable for many patients, hernia surgery in Mexico represents an affordable alternative for those cases where surgical intervention is required.
According to the Centers for Disease Control, in 2010, 50 million American citizens did not have adequate health insurance. Healthcare costs in many developed nations are increasing and millions are turning to countries such as Mexico for treatment.
Inguinal Hernia – An Overview
- An inguinal hernia happens when part of the small intestine or intra-abdominal fat bulges through the muscle of the abdomen or groin.
- Surgery is the only effective treatment for an inguinal hernia which has become strangulated or obstructed. Treatment options include laparoscopic inguinal hernia surgery or open repair.
- There are approximately 500,000 new cases of inguinal hernia reported on an annual basis (Everhart JE (1994) National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases).
- Although relatively rare, inguinal hernia surgery risks include pain/numbness in the groin area, trapped nerves, painful swelling/bruising or blood/fluid buildup.
Why Get Inguinal Hernia Treatment in Mexico
- One of the main advantages of choosing to have surgery abroad is that the cost of inguinal hernia surgery in Mexico is considerably less than that in many first world countries.
- Surgery options are available in various Mexican cities including Tijuana, Mexicali, Puerto Vallarta, Cancun, Guadalajara, and Ciudad Juarez providing a range of alternatives for travel and accommodation.
- We work with reputable, state of the art hospitals to provide affordable surgery in Mexico.
- Hospital staff is polite and professional, operating in hygienic and well maintained clinics.
- Towns on the border of Mexico and America are often popular choices for treatment due to minimal traveling time from many US states. For example, getting your inguinal hernia surgery in Tijuana, MX, would only involve a 21 minute drive from San Diego, CA.
- Although Spanish is the official language of Mexico, English is widely spoken which means that communication shouldn’t be an issue.
- Many surgeons in Mexico are trained at world class establishments and have gained international recognition.
- Waiting lists are usually considerably shorter than developed countries like the US, the UK and Canada. This ensures that you can arrange your treatment plan as required.
Inguinal Hernia Surgery in Mexico – Considerations
- Fully research your treatment and preferred clinic options prior to travel.
- Many Mexican cities are well served by international airports. For example, if you choose to have your inguinal hernia surgery in Cancun, you can expect your travel time to be 4 hours from New York, NY (USA), 7 hours from Toronto (Canada) and 11 hours from London (UK).
- Traveling abroad means that you won’t have your family and friends close by during the immediate recovery period. However, this can be remedied by bringing a companion along for support.
- Laparoscopic hernia repair surgery generally has a quicker recovery time than open repair. Speak to your surgeon prior to treatment to get expert advice on what to expect during your recuperation period.
- Remember to factor transport and accommodation costs into your overall budget. Even when you take these into account, you still stand to save money by traveling to Mexico for treatment.
- If you’re still struggling to afford the cost of your surgery, a medical loan may be available for financial assistance.
- Why not add a vacation to the end of your trip? Mexico is a fantastic location with many historic, cultural and gastronomic delights. Why not plan some sight-seeing trips or recuperate in the glorious countryside?
Medical trips to Mexico are hugely popular with many self-funded patients looking for cheaper treatment options. From plastic surgery in Tijuana, Mexico to dental implants in Los Algodones, Mexico, the options for affordable healthcare are many and varied. Electing to have your inguinal hernia surgery in Mexico can often mean low cost relief from discomfort and pain without having to compromise on quality.
Mexico Health facilitates affordable medical treatments at various quality hospitals in Mexico. For more information, please submit the estimate-request form on the right.