The low cost of LASIK surgery in Tijuana, Mexico is an attractive proposition for those who are unable to afford this procedure locally. The cost of laser eye treatments in Mexico may be up to 50% lower than the prices quoted for the procedures in its more affluent Northern neighbours. By opting for LASIK surgery in Mexico you could save thousands in treatment costs, and still get your vision corrected at a well-equipped hospital.
LASIK Surgery – an Overview
- LASIK surgery (laser-assisted in situ keratomileusis) is a popular procedure used to correct problems such as myopia (nearsightedness), hyperopia (farsightedness) and astigmatism (blurring due to inability to focus).
- A laser or blade is used to create a small incision through which the cornea can be shaped to resolve your sight. The objective of this type of surgery is to free the patient from the need to wear contact lenses or glasses.
- According to a study by Nayyirih G. Tahzib, Sander J. Bootsma et al, results of which were published in the October 2005 edition of The Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, 92.2% of the patients studied were either satisfied or very satisfied with their LASIK surgical treatment.
Cost Benefits of LASIK Surgery in Tijuana, Mexico
There are various benefits for electing to have your surgery in Mexico:
- One of the most attractive reasons is that the LASIK surgery cost in Mexico is generally significantly lower overall. Treatments can be more than half of your domestic cost, without a notable reduction in quality or service. Note that the price of LASIKs is generally quoted per eye.
- The cost of living is significantly lower in Mexico and this difference filters through to patients.
- Mexico boasts of some world class, high quality surgeons working in well equipped facilities. There are a number of excellent hospitals in Tijuana, Mexico from which you can choose.
- Mexico is in close proximity to the USA and has excellent transport links with most major cities. Even after factoring in travel and accommodation expenses, your overall costs could still be significantly lower than those in your own country.
- Waiting times are often short ensuring that you can book your treatment promptly.
LASIK Surgery in Tijuana, Mexico – Things to Consider
Besides the laser eye surgery cost in Mexico, you must consider some other factors:
- LASIK is only available for those over the age of 18.
- The unique properties of each person’s eyes imply that it’s important to have an individual assessment before booking your LASIK treatment. Outcome varies so discuss this with your surgeon prior to surgery.
- LASIK requires that your prescriptions haven’t changed over the past year i.e. you’re not experiencing “refractive instability”. Various conditions, such as diabetes or hormone fluctuations, may cause visual problems and it’s worth highlighting these at your initial consultation.
- LASIKs can offer a marked improvement to vision within a few hours of the procedure. Most patients are able to return to work after 48 hours, although eyes may feel ‘gritty’ or sensitive initially. Sunglasses are usually recommended for a few days following the procedure.
- Generally, both eyes are treated at the same time.
Tips for Traveling to Tijuana, Mexico
- The language predominantly spoken in Tijuana is Spanish.
- Ensure that you hold the appropriate documentation for traveling into Mexico. For example, Americans entering Tijuana at San Ysidro (the busiest point of entry) should carry their passport for re-entry into the US – a visa isn’t necessary if you’re staying in Mexico for less than 72 hours.
- Traveling during the off-season may represent the most cost-effective way to lower the overall cost of laser eye treatments in Mexico.
- Crime can be an issue in Tijuana, but serious problems are usually not prominent in tourist areas. However, beware of pickpockets and avoid flashing your cash.
- If you’re traveling to Tijuana and want to add a vacation to your stay, there are a number of culturally diverse and interesting areas to explore. You might want to take a look at the main tourist areas of the Zona Centro including Avenida Revolución. Tijuana is becoming increasingly cosmopolitan with restaurants, night spots and shopping to rival most major cities.
Overall first rate facilities and the reduced cost of LASIK surgery make Tijuana, Mexico a popular choice for this procedure.
Mexico Health facilitates affordable medical treatments at various quality hospitals in Mexico. For more information, please submit the estimate-request form on the right.