If you are experiencing stiff or chronically sore shoulders and have tried all sorts of treatments to get respite from pain but to no avail,
you may want to consider reverse shoulder replacement surgery in Mexico. The leading orthopedic surgeons in Mexico are world-renowned for their expertise and high levels of medical training. Additionally, the reputable hospitals are well-equipped with the latest technology for procedures involving reverse shoulder prosthesis in Mexico.
The low cost of medical treatments in Mexico is another appealing factor for patients from the United States. The United States Census Bureau reports that in 2010, 49.9 million US citizens were without health insurance and that number is constantly rising. The close proximity of Mexico makes it a popular destination for U.S. medical tourists looking to save on costs—if one lives along the border, facilities providing discounted medical treatments such as reverse total shoulder replacement in Mexico are simply a short drive away.
Reverse Shoulder Replacement Surgery Explained
Traditional shoulder replacements may not be suitable for those with excessive rotator cuff tear. For them, reverse shoulder replacement surgery, which involves placement of a prosthetic that relies on the deltoid muscles rather than the rotator cuff for powering the arms is more suitable. Additionally, reverse shoulder replacement is suitable for those who’ve previously had an unsuccessful shoulder replacement.
Shoulder pain is a common complaint in the United States – as per the National Ambulatory Medical Care Survey 1998-2006 conducted by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, nearly 7.5 million Americans went to their physicians for shoulder problems in 2006. If the pain affects the quality of the patient’s life, reverse shoulder replacement can be performed using the following procedural steps:
- First, the surgeon administers general anesthesia or local anesthesia according to your preferences.
- Once the anesthesia takes effect, the surgeon will make a long incision to access the deltoid muscle. The deltoid muscle will then be moved for better access to your shoulder joint.
- The ends of the humerus and scapula are replaced, reversing the movement of the “ball and socket” hinge of the joint to improve shoulder functionality.
After surgery, the patient begins a rehabilitation program to regain full use of their shoulder. This program usually lasts several months.
Reverse Shoulder Replacement Procedure Cost in Mexico
The cost of total reverse shoulder joint replacement in Mexico is much lower than the prices one would pay for the procedure in the United States and Canada.
- Mexico is a short distance from the United States, allowing medical tourists to save even further on travel costs. Medical tourists who live along the Mexico-United States border can drive to Mexico within half an hour.
- In fact, proximity to the US has resulted in a number of Americans seeking low cost orthopedic procedures, cosmetic surgeries, and even dental work such as getting dental implants in Los Algodones, Mexicali, and other Mexican border cities.
Advantages of Reverse Shoulder Arthroplasty in Mexico
Given the wide array of medical procedures available along with the country’s warm beaches, it is not difficult to see why Mexico is so popular with foreign patients as a healthcare destination. Below are some other benefits besides low cost of reverse shoulder replacement surgery in Mexico:
- One upside to getting reverse shoulder replacement surgery in Mexico is the high quality of the treatment comparable to that found in the medical facilities of the developed countries of the West.
- Patients can choose from ISO-certified and JCI-accredited hospitals for their treatment.
- They can elect highly trained orthopedic surgeons for their reverse shoulder arthroplasty in Mexico who are sensitive to the needs of their foreign patients.
- One does not have to wait long for reverse total shoulder arthroplasty in Mexico; there is little to no waiting period for most surgeries in Mexico.
- Despite the fact that Spanish is the lingua franca of Mexico, intending patients will be glad to know that majority of the renowned hospitals have doctors and support staff fluent in English.
- Another advantage of reverse shoulder replacement procedure in Mexico is that before the procedure, one can enjoy the beautiful sights and culture that the North American country has to offer.
- The chance to recuperate in the warm, tropical climate in Mexico is an added bonus.
Reverse shoulder replacement surgery in Mexico is just one of many quality orthopedic treatments one can receive south of the border. Treatments such as hip and knee surgery in Mexico are also available to people from the United States and Canada for a fraction of the cost they would pay in their native countries.
Mexico Health facilitates affordable medical treatments at various quality hospitals in Mexico. For more information, please submit the estimate-request form on the right.