For women all over the world, having a baby is one of the most exciting and joyful experiences in their lives. It however changes the body to an extent that diets and exercise cannot undo.
Disheartened by the high cost of cosmetic surgery procedures in their native countries, many women are looking at plastic surgery in Mexico, after child birth as a lucrative option. The cost of plastic surgery in Mexico is estimated to be 1/10th of that in the US, the UK, and Canada.
In recent years, more and more mothers are flocking to Mexico to undergo surgery to reverse the unwanted effects of childbirth, attracted by the sophisticated healthcare services, world class doctors and reduced cost. A report by ‘The Health Digital System’ claimed that the number of medical tourists in Mexico was as high as 50,000 in 2009 and generated a total income of around $650 million.
Most Common Mommy Makeover Surgeries
Mommy cosmetic surgery refers to different procedures for body contouring in mothers aimed at counteracting the unwanted physical effects of pregnancy and childbirth.
All over the world, there has been an increase in the awareness of the benefits of plastic surgery. A survey conducted by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) claimed that approximately 9.3 million women underwent plastic surgery in the US alone in 2010, a number that had increased by 9% since 2009.
The most common mommy makeover surgeries are mentioned below.
Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty)
- It is used to remove the unwanted fat deposits in the stomach and to eliminate stretch marks.
- During this procedure surgeons separate skin and fat from the middle and lower abdomen and tighten the abdominal wall muscles to get a flatter, more defined waistline.
- Depending on the type of procedure, this surgery takes 1 to 5 hours and patients can get back to their routine activities within a week.
- Tummy tuck in Mexico is drawing mothers from countries such as the US, the UK, and Canada, on the lookout for affordable surgery to help them get rid of the excess body mass post pregnancy.
- Women often experience sagging and reduced firmness of breasts due to the combined effect of nursing and pregnancy.
- Breast uplift or Mastopexy is a procedure which reshapes breasts by tightening the skin making them firmer and perkier.
- Silicon or saline implants are used to increase the size of breasts and return them to their youthful contour, which breastfeeding had altered.
Spot fat reduction (Liposuction)
- Slower metabolism and less time for themselves make it difficult for women to lose weight gained in specific areas of the body like thighs, buttocks and stomach during pregnancy.
- Body sculpting through liposuction makes it possible for surgeons to re sculpt and reshape the body by removing fat from these stubborn areas.
- This procedure reduces excess skin around the labia and is also referred to as vaginal rejuvenation.
Mommy makeover surgeries in Mexico have gained momentum among women worldwide wanting to get their bodies back to the same size and shape as they were before pregnancy, that too without burning a hole in the pocket.
Cosmetic Surgery – Rewards & Risks
- Psychological - Most patients experience a boost in self esteem and confidence post surgery. The correction of their “problem” makes them less self conscious about their physical defects and also less vulnerable to jibes directed their way.
- Health and physical wellbeing - Surgery drastically improves the quality of life for many patients by helping them lose weight and regain their pre pregnancy figure.
- Emotional - Patients feel younger, lighter, thinner, and more attractive after the surgery and experience a state of emotional wellbeing.
While different procedures are associated with specific risks, there are a couple of points common to all surgeries:
- Delayed wound healing.
- Anesthesia risks (shock, allergic reactions, etc).
- Loss or change of sensations.
American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) has recommended a few points for mothers intending to undergo plastic surgery:
- There should be a gap of at least 6 months or more between childbirth and any mommy makeover surgeries.
- Some attempt for losing weight must be made prior to the surgery.
- It is of utmost importance to select a doctor you feel the most comfortable with and to discuss your expectations from the procedure in detail.
Why Mexico for Plastic Surgery after Childbirth?
Medical tourism in Mexico is on the rise since the last couple of years, with Americans comprising 80-85% of the medical tourists in the small border towns of the city.
Plastic surgery for mothers in Mexico is increasingly emerging as a viable option due to the following reasons:
Cost of Mommy Makeovers in Mexico
- Cosmetic surgery procedures like tummy tucks in Mexico cost 30-40% of their value in the first world countries.
- Furthermore the cost of drugs from well known pharmaceuticals is 50-70% less than in the US.
Healthcare Personnel in Mexico
- Doctors and physicians are highly skilled and internationally certified, with many of them having studied in institutions in the US.
- The nurses and paramedical staff are friendly and personable and take pride in providing comprehensive medical care.
- Staff in the leading hospitals in Mexico is well versed in English and arrange for translators as and when the need arises.
Medical Facilities in Mexico
- Mexico is home to a number of hospitals spread over its major cities equipped with latest technology and state of the art machines.
- Many of these hospitals are affiliated to the Health Council of Mexico and the JCI (Joint Commission International) which ensure international standards of healthcare and hygiene.
- Breast uplift, tummy tuck, and liposuction in Mexico are the popular procedures among mommies.
- The large number of functional operating rooms and number of health personnel ensures that no wait is required before scheduling any surgery in Mexico.
- This is a big boon for people from countries with overburdened medical systems where patients have to wait for weeks at a stretch merely to consult a specialist.
Traveling to Mexico
- There are a large number of daily non-stop flights which link Mexico to different parts of the world.
- Domestic travel from one city to another has also been made easy thanks to the large number of domestic flights and trains running throughout the day.
- Foreigners must carry their passport and all the documents required for traveling to another country.
- It is relatively easy to acquire a visa for Mexico by medical tourists from different countries.
- Patients from the US do not need a visa for a stay of up to 24 hours in the border zone (a strip of land 20-30km away from the border).
- Travel beyond the border zone for US citizens is permitted after the issuance of a tourist card.
Combine Sightseeing with Healthcare in Mexico
- Mexico is like an oasis in this modern world, with the right dash of history, scenic beauty and rich heritage to suit every palate.
- The advent of the public transport system in the form of buses and taxis has made it extremely convenient to get around the city.
- Before and after their plastic surgery, mothers in Mexico can experience the rich culture of this beautiful and vibrant city.
- Medical tourists can bask in the glory of the rich past and present of this exotic Latin American country and go home feeling and looking completely refreshed and relaxed.
Tips for Medical Tourists in Mexico
- Although Mexico is a relatively safe country, foreigners are advised to take precautions to avoid becoming victims of petty crimes like purse snatching or pick pocketing.
- Tourists should avoid going to extremely crowded places.
- Avoid traveling alone to remote places at night.
- Always ensure that the taxi has been booked from a credible source.
- Trafficking drugs is considered illegal in Mexico and warrantees a harsh penalty. Tourists should refrain from engaging in such activities while there.
A healthy youthful body for mothers is no longer the prerogative of celebrities and affluent people all thanks to affordable plastic surgery for moms in Mexico. You may get in touch with medical tourism agencies online and plan their itinerary. Online quotes can be requested from them.
Mexico Health facilitates affordable medical treatments at various hospitals under our network in Mexico. For more information and FREE quote, submit the estimate–request form on the right.