Gastric bypass surgery in Mexico is an attractive option for overweight people who are unable to bear the cost of weight loss procedures in their native countries. Quality infrastructure, highly competent obesity surgeons and the reduced cost of gastric bypass in Mexico all contribute towards making the country an ideal destination for those seeking easy-on-the-pocket weight loss surgery. Mexico
has a robust health tourism industry which is on the rise.
Many American are open to the idea of traveling to medical tourism destinations, especially Mexico, for availing low cost health services. A report by Horowitz, Rosensweig and Jones claimed that as many as 750,000 Americans opted for getting medical treatment outside the US in 2007.
The cost of medical procedure in the first world countries has sky rocketed in the last couple of years. Also, most insurance companies do not pay for gastric bypass surgery in majority of the cases. For people battling chronic obesity, surgery can prove to be quite heavy on the pocket. In such a scenario, affordable bariatric surgery in Mexico is a huge boon, especially for the uninsured and the underinsured.
Gastric Bypass – An Overview
- Gastric Bypass surgery is one of the most common bariatric procedures carried out all over the world.
- The surgery is carried out under general anesthesia and involves the division of the stomach into a small upper pouch and a large lower pouch.
- The low capacity of the small upper pouch which is directly linked to the lower part of the intestine ensures that the patient feels satiated with less food.
- Also, as most of the stomach and the upper part of the small intestine are bypassed, there is less absorption of calories.
- The weight loss may, however, take around a year to become evident.
- Lap Gastric Bypass in Mexico is among the different types of bypass surgeries which are conducted in the leading Mexican hospitals.
Alternative Names for Gastric Bypass: Roux-en-Y gastric bypass, RNY Surgery, Roux-en-Y gastric bypass procedure (RYGBP), Gastric bypass – Roux-en-Y, bariatric gastric bypass.
How Much Does Gastric Bypass Cost in Mexico
- Mexico is a fast growing country, with the 12th largest economy in the world in terms of purchasing power parity (PPP). As compared to the US, the cost of living in Mexico is low.
- Medical schools in Mexico churn out a large number of doctors each year. Also, being a developing country, the doctors and paramedical staff are not paid salaries as high as paid to their American counterparts.
- All these factors contribute towards making medical care in Mexico reasonable and economical.
- The cost of medical care in Mexico varies, depending on the duration of the stay and the type of treatment required. It is estimated to be approximately 1/10th the value in the first world countries.
- Even after accommodation and travel expenditure is taken into account, the prices of gastric bypass in Mexico are a fraction of their cost in America and West Europe.
- Furthermore, surgical weight loss in Mexico results in sufficient monetary savings to enjoy a vacation in this beautiful Latin American country after the surgery.
To know the cost of gastric bypass in Mexico, you can submit quote forms.
Are You a Candidate for Gastric Bypass?
As per a consensus panel of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), people with the following conditions qualify for Roux-en-Y gastric bypass:
- People with body mass index (BMI) of 40 or above.
- People with BMI 35-40 and having significant medical co-morbidities (type 2 diabetes, heart disease, etc.).
Other factors considered before the surgery are:
- Age (the ideal age is between 18 to 60 years).
- Health of the patient in general.
- Psychological motivation.
- Dependency on tobacco and alcohol.
Surgical Weight Loss in Mexico
Bariatric procedures like laparoscopic or lap gastric bypass in Mexico offer medical tourists the following advantages:
- JCI accredited hospitals spread across the major cities like Tijuana, Monterrey, Guadalajara and Cancun.
- These hospitals are equipped with the latest medical equipment and all amenities to make the stay as pleasant as possible.
- Many of these medical centers deal exclusively in bariatric procedures and provide comprehensive and personalized medical care.
- Many of the health professionals have received training from the US, Argentina, Brazil, etc. and are able to spend more time with each patient.
- Gastric bypass doctors in Mexico are highly skilled and are members of many national and international organizations.
- The close proximity of Mexican cities to the border towns of America is also partially responsible for drawing a plethora of medial tourists to the country every year.
- Mexico provides tourists with excellent quality treatment at highly reduced prices.
Gastric Bypass Before and After
A number of general precautions need to be taken in preparation for lap gastric bypass in Mexico. The patients should stop smoking and consuming alcohol and drugs like aspirin well in time before the surgery.
- Though the surgery is a relatively simple procedure, a multidisciplinary team comprising of physicians, nutritionist, endocrinologists and psychologist may be required for proper after care of the patient.
- After the surgery, the stomach is a little sore. The patient is started off on liquid diet and is then slowly brought back to solid food.
- Gastric bypass before and after pictures show a weight loss of 65-80% of the excess body weight.
- It must, however, be kept in mind that bariatric procedures are only effective if supplemented with a healthy diet and regular exercise.
Things to Do After Lap Gastric Bypass in Mexico
Mexico offers tourists a number of sights and experiences which leave them feeling completely refreshed and relaxed before going home.
Its people are warm and friendly and do the most to make the stay as pleasant as possible for the tourists. Some of the tourist attractions which may be explored before and after Lap Gastric Bypass in Mexico are:
The low gastric bypass surgery prices in Mexico and the high quality of care administered is drawing people from across the world. Patients can contact Mexico Health, to get more information on gastric bypass cost in Mexico.
Mexico Health facilitates affordable medical treatments at various quality hospitals in Mexico. For more information, please submit the estimate-request form on the right.